I arrived at Emma’s parents home in Ravenstondale Cumbria on a beautiful sunny morning to capture the wedding preps. The setting for the wedding celebrations was just stunning, fantastic views across the open fields to the Howgills and beyond. Emma and her six bridesmaids were all either having their hair or make up done and there was lots of excitement for the day ahead. Emma and Thomas had chosen to have their ceremony in the local church St Oswalds.
St Oswald’s Church, Ravenstonedale Cumbria
St Oswald’s Church, Ravenstonedale Cumbria, erected on the site of a previous church, dates mainly from the 18th century. With a few fragments of the older church built in to the fabric. This church is in a beautiful setting and is lovely for a wedding.
The approach along a long straight path through the large peaceful churchyard, with its imposing trees.
Saxon relics indicate that Christian worship here goes back many centuries. incidentally near the porch is the base of a Saxon cross, the oldest relic of Christian worship in Ravenstonedale Cumbria
Unusually for a church in Cumbria, St Oswald’s follows the ‘collegiate’ plan, where rows of pews face into the central aisle.
Pews face into the central aisle.
The handsome oak-panelled three decker pulpit, complete with sounding board. Built in a central position on the north side, and also faces the centre.
The stained glass windows are of particular interest.
One of the East windows, by Shrigley and Hunt, is dedicated to Elizabeth Gaunt. who was the last female burnt at Tyburn for the protestant cause. The church was a sanctury to assure a fair trial, if the accused could toll the bell once .
Originally part of the East window at nearby Newbiggin-on-Lune, which was closed in 1984. The Saint Aiden window was installed and dedicated in 1986,
The foundations of the Gilbertine Abbey built about AD 1200 are on the north side of the building . Excavated in 1920. Church leaflets give detailed information about St Gilbert and the Gilbertine Order. And subsequently how they came here from the Priory of Watton in Yorkshire. The site looks out on Scandel Beck.