What could be more prefect than an church wedding in Cumbria, one of the Most beautiful counties in the United Kingdom, dramatic fells and lakes
St Mary’s Church Kirkby Lonsdale
Also known as Kirkby Lonsdale Parish Church, in the diocese of Carlisle, the Church of St Mary the Virgin is Norman in origin, probably built between 1093 and 1130, although there was an old Saxon Church on the site before. The church displays a range of architectural styles, some dating from the early 12th century. The north aisle has three magnificent Norman columns, similar to ones in Durham Cathedral, with a diamond pattern on the stone. These represent an era of extensive church building and re-building, in contrast to the remaining less ornate columns. The first pillar has a carving of ‘The Green Man’, with foliage emerging from the mouth.
Another Norman feature is the outer door archway on the tower, displaying a variety of styles of stonework. The tower houses six bells, the oldest dating from 1633, and the newest from 1724. The stained glass is 19th century, with the east window lancets showing traditional narrative scenes – the important stages in the life of Christ from the Annunciation to the Ascension. I beautiful church for a wedding in Cumbria
St Mary’s Windermere
St. Mary’s Church came into being as a direct result of the coming of the railway to Windermere in 1846. The population of the scattered township of Applethwaite increased rapidly and there was obvious need for a church more central than those at Bowness or Troutbeck.
Various historical features from the old building were preserved and in some cases repositioned. These included the oak panelling which surrounded the original organ and made by Edward Mallinson; the screens in the chancel, north and south aisles (given in memory of Lt. Robert Fallowfield Kipling RN) and the hanging light which was moved from the Lady Chapel to the Sanctuary. This light had been donated in memory of Dr. Mervyn Hatt who was killed in India during the 1949 uprisings. The architect for all the work was Mr Paul Grout.
During all these changes, which took a number of years, services were still held in parts of the building, depending upon where the builders were active at the time. The church was rededicated on 27th May 2006 by the Right Rev Graham Dow, Bishop of Carlisle, the event again being commemorated by a plaque just inside the main entrance.
A number of major projects and changes from the Strategic Framework have been undertaken and completed, including the opening of the St. Mary’s building on all week days, a number of varied styles of worship and a greater number of pastoral and social activities. Another
beautiful church for a wedding in Cumbria